- AWARE. 2002. Remaking Singapore: Views of Half the Nation. AWARE.
- J. Y. E. 2018. The Toxic Contradictions of Single-Gender National Service in Singapore. Equality & Democracy. https://equalitydemocracy.commons.yale-nus.edu.sg/2018/12/31/the-toxic-contradictions-of-single-gender-national-service-in-singapore/
- Lee, Michelle. 2017. Let’s Be Real, No One Really Wants Women to Serve NS. Rice Media. https://www.ricemedia.co/lets-real-no-one-really-wants-women-serve-ns/
- Ling Wei Chan, Samuel. 2019. Aristocracy of Armed Talent: The Military Elite in Singapore. NUS Press.
- Tan, Jolene. 2013. A new face for National Service?. AWARE. https://www.aware.org.sg/2013/10/a-new-face-for-national-service/
More references regarding racial privilege in NS:
Barr and Low, 2005. Assimilation as multiracialism: The case of Singapore’s Malays. Asian Ethnicity 6 (3), 161-182.
Lyons and Ford, 2012. Defending the nation: Malay men’s experience of National Service in Singapore. Men and Masculinities in Southeast Asia, 153-172.
- Walsh, S. 2007. The roar of the Lion City: Ethnicity, gender, and culture in the Singapore armed forces. Armed Forces & Society 33 (2), 265-285.